Autumn in Jefferson’s Virginia
Autumn is a beautiful season to spend in Charlottesville. Here are six of our favorite events and things to do during this season:
1. Apple Picking: Visit one of the many local orchards and farms offering different apple varieties.
2. Barboursville Vineyards’ Truffle Dinner: This popular annual feast, a four-course dinner paired with Barboursville wines, is prepared with the cooperation of truffle expert Dr. Jeff Long. This year’s Truffle Dinner will be held on November 11 at 7pm. In addition, Barboursville Vineyards will host a Truffle Lunch on November 12 at 1pm. You can learn more about this tradition in Book One of Charlottesville Wine & Country Living.
3. Martha’s Market: This annual shopping event at John Paul Jones Arena takes place from Friday, September 29—Sunday, October 1. This market will feature 80 boutiques from across the country with 15% of each sale will benefiting women’s healthcare at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital. This is also a great event for getting a head start on your holiday shopping.
This year, Charlottesville Wine & Country will also be one of the featured boutiques. Be sure to visit and see the new W&C Collection!
4. Montpelier Hunt Races: The event includes seven steeplechase races and is always held on the first Saturday in November. This year, the race will take place on November 4.
In addition to the horse races, attendees can enjoy watching Jack Russell Terrier Races, a Tailgating Contest and a Hat Contest, while also shopping at fabulous vendors, like Dubarry of Ireland. For the second year in a row, Charlottesville Wine & Country will serve as one of the judges for the Tailgate Contest. Click here to learn more about the steeplechase tradition in Virginia. (Photos below by Susan M. Carter Photography)
6. Experience the Fall Foliage: Finally, make sure to take time to experience the stunning foliage. Plan a bike ride or a hike through Shenandoah National Park and see all the gorgeous colors!
From Ivy Publications, publishers of Charlottesville Wine & Country Living, a semi-annual magazine of Life & Style in Jefferson’s Virginia; Charlottesville Wine & Country Weddings, an annual art book celebrating elegant country weddings in Jefferson’s Virginia; CharlottesvilleFamily